If your family is like my family, we are running low on fun family activities during this continued period of social distancing. If you enjoy baking and have a four-legged friend that lives in your house I have a great recipe that encourages family connection.
Healthy Pumpkin Dog Treats
½ cup of pureed pumpkin
2 tablespoons of coconut oil, softened
4 tablespoons of water, plus more if needed
2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of baking soda
¼ teaspoon of baking powder
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the pumpkin, softened coconut oil, and water together in a large bowl.
- Then mix in the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder
- Mix it a bit and then stir in the egg
- Continue to stir until it is all combined. This will take several minutes; you can also add a little more water in to get the mixture into one solid slightly sticky ball.
- Once done, roll the dough out on a floured surface to ¼ inch thick.
- Using cookie cutter, cut out treats. These can be small or as large as you need them to be.
- Place treats on a lined/greased baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes (depending on size of the treats) or until the dough has hardened.
- Let cool and let your dog enjoy!
You can double this recipe, make a huge batch, divide treats up into Ziploc baggies and freeze individual baggies then pull out as needed. We made these treats in October and finished our last bag in April.
We make smaller treats, so it takes about 15 minutes for them to bake.
We found this recipe on foodwithfeeling.com
To learn more about our services click here: Family Therapy